Monday, April 26, 2010

Writer's Workshop

Part of the reason why we went to S&R Sunday was because Mom had to get food to serve her guests because she was hosting Writer's Workshop for her friends tonight. She invited me to join them-- Usually I'm a bit shy when her friends are around especially for activities like these but for some reason I really wanted to join. Writing is something I WANT to get better at and thought it might be interesting to listen to them critique each other's writing. 
My mom e-mailed me the pieces that would be under scrutiny for the night so I could read them ahead of time. Apparently this is how this goes. I didn't get to finish the readings so I couldn't really follow the story but despite that I still learned so much from listening to these writers convene.
They broke down the pieces by structure, by motivation. They analyzed what the writer wanted the reader to feel.. Where the author wanted to take the reader. Feeling sympathy for the characters. 
There were two stories. A travelogue, my mother said was a difficult read. I AGREE!! I had such a hard time reading it and couldn't really understand all the art mumbo jumbo-- I was confused merely by all the french names and big words. Hello? this was a group of English teachers, serious literary types-- with me who reads Dojo of Wisdom. Hehehe :)) But when they discussed the piece they described as a cubist novel where time is interspersed-- i saw what a complex piece it was full of hidden metaphors and allegories. 
When I write I kinda just talk, aimlessly... But I think I know the voice I write in, or like to write in. This was my first foray into the real world of writing... Very interesting. A lot of new ideas still simmering in my head. My mother actually, in my opinion-- without bias gave the most substantial comments in that discussion. I was impressed. She's a three time Palanca awardee. I am so proud of her for this. She is a brilliant writer.
It has been a secret dream of mine to write. I think it's because my mom writes and you know how you sometimes want to be like them. So many people ask my mom for help on their writing, I don't see why I don't....


The group!

No comments:

Post a Comment